Monday, February 18, 2008

an sungkaan

I've got a good number of titles in mind for this blog update: "sungkaan", "hell roads of Samar no more (almost)", "mabalud", "the good news and the bad news". I guess sungkaan would be the best choice.

So, what about it?

First the good news. Part of the rehabilitation of the Highway in Samar is "asphalt overlay" or something to that effect. And when I took these two pictures last week (February 10, 2008 to be exact), they have put asphalt on the portion in Brgy. Bagacay. I still need to know about the portion from Catbalogan to Calbiga, but I heard that the section from Hinabangan to Calbiga is now okey. Anyway, when we traveled to Catbalogan last Saturday, I found out that the portion with asphalt on it extends from Bagacay to Ilo. And that's where the good news ends (so far).



Now for the not-so-good news. I have featured below two videos I took when we traveled to Catbalogan last Saturday. The first one was taken while on board a van to Catbalogan. The second one was taken while on board a bus going back to Calbayog. I guess I took it while we were plying the highway between San Jorge and Gandara.

T'was an uncomfy ride, no question. But knowing that rehabilitation work is being done or is ongoing makes one give a sigh of relief.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say "SUNGKA-AN" thats how the highway looks like last October 2007. Nobody (my siblings)told me about the road/highway condition. I know it was a rough road 7 years ago...good thing Bianca Ann was asleep the whole 6 hrs drive from Tacloban Airport to Calbayog. At least she did not suffer as much I do...been tossed/slide a few times off from my seat- there was no seat belt. Maybe I wear seatbelt siguro nahikugan na ako san kau-untol.

Anonymous said...

part 2. your video reminds me of my ride to Calbayog...untol-untol. Nakaka-inis nga nakakatawa- ha!ha!ha! maupay ngani kay adlaw kam umagi amon sadto nga gab-e gud tapos waray pa gud mga light an iba nga parte san kalsada.... as in may mga deep hole along the road/on the middle of the road pero waray kudal or reflector. So thankful nakarating nang maayos sa Obrero kahit tag-tag an lawas san beyahe from WA.