Wednesday, October 31, 2007

kalag-kalag

Hi there! It’s midweek and we’re all in for another long weekend. Today’s title pays tribute to one of our endearing traditions which has to do with the observance of All Souls’ and All Saints’ Days. And this is way out of the tradition I have imposed upon myself (or this column) wherein I always pay homage to the ghouls, spirits and ghosts among us each time this season of the year comes.

It’s interesting to note that when the day commemorating the dead comes around, a good number of old women get themselves busy going house to house (I still have to hear someone go puntod to puntod) to do their long prayers supposedly aimed at ensuring that the dear departed a good life in the, well, after-life. The prayer is kinda long (not to mention that a good part of it is in latin) I managed to remember only a line: “…tungod san paghampaka san Sta. Cruz guin tubos mo an kalibutan, Ginoo kalooyi an amon bugto nga si…”.

That prayer supposedly is a novena that is usually said in nine days. But considering today’s fast-paced life (or maybe the hectic schedule brought about by many bookings), even the old ladies have adjusted their services. Some of them now offer a 9-hour (marathon) prayer. Yup nine days worth of prayer compressed in nine hours. Whew! And yes in between prayers (or hourly breaks) they take time to have some biko, sinugba and in some cases bahalina nga tuba. If you seriously consider bahalina, you do not have to imagine how the old ladies do their job halfway through the prayer marathon.

And there is this practice of offering food to the dead. Many do it by putting the offering in dining plates and placing it in front of a picture of a dear departed. Whew! I suppose it’s a way of letting them share what’s in store for everyone during this party for the dead; or is it for the dead to sustain them as they go on their journey in the next life? And the usual fare? Sinakugan, tsokolate, labtinaw, humba. Well, that’s what I call traveling on a heavy stomach. And just curious, why does it always have to include something that is malagkit?

And yes, each time the November 2 comes, my mom and our ever reliable house helper always argue (almost) as to which one to prepare for her (the helper’s) departed: tuba ug sumsuman para sa kalag-kalag against my mom’s suggestion which is to have a mass said for the dead. Thanks to tradition, they always end up with both having what they want.

Seriously, the fact that dates have been set to remember the departed underscores the importance of commemorating our loved ones. From my limited observance of some people’s faith, whatever one into in his belief about God or any supreme being, it seems that our existence on earth is one that is aimed in preparation for the after-life. And this leads me to my next topic which is about prayer.

* * *

I attended the evening mass last Sunday. And the theme of that Sunday had something to do with prayer, particularly our attitude in praying. As the gospel was read, it suddenly hit me! There must be a group of people – the candidates - who said one common prayer that night: Lord (please) let me win! (By this time we would have known who ended with unanswered prayers).

Back to the mass. In a way, the theme taught us about humility in praying. On the other hand, the priest observed that the last mass is always filled with young people. But not that Sunday. “Where are the young people?” the priest asked. Don’t tell me, he said. I saw some of them gathered (for the night?) at the youth hostel. Other groups may have been gathered in other places around the city.

Now a question: where they herded in various places to pray? Nah! It’s part of the SK tradition of herding a bunch of young voters to ensure a candidate’s victory. It used to be done only during the election for the Federation President, now some are doing it even at the barangay level. So how can some young people pull off something like this? Lest we forget, SK also can also stand for Samukan nga Kalagsan.

* * *

Let me leave you with something about my favorite topic (the past few days). This has to do with some doctors (not again). One is this doctorate degree holder who teaches in a local institution. She is among the rare species whom I refer to as the very few na may karapatang magdala ng titulong doctor. So what about her? I learned only lately that for a good number of times she locked horns with the doctorette I was referring to in my previous columns. That locking of horns is an open secret among their students. Some of these students were inquisitive enough to ask why is that? My favorite doctor na may karapatan simply said: “I’m giving her the rare privilege of hating me” Yun na!

* * *

Have a nice week everyone! Ciao!

No comments: